«

«

Apr 25

DIY Humidor Update 4


Sorry this has taken so long…I was also really bad about getting pictures because I had my phone hooked up to a prototype rechargeable li-po powered set of speakers that I was testing the battery life of (future DIY project hint)

After Veneering the box I used a table saw and 1/4 wide dado blade to cut strips out of all of the corners where the new edge inlays would go.

Like I said, wish I would have taken better pictures.  I will update this post when the next humidor gets made….which will be very soon.  Next I cut miters using the table saw miter sled with a piece of perfectly flat milled poplar as a support piece.  I cleaned up the two sides of the wenge strips that will be glued with a small block plane to ensure that the are perfectly flat and have a good gluing surface and then held them in place with blue painters tape.  This works really well for this application.  I put in the top and bottom sections of trim first and then fit small pieces with squared edges in the middle section.

 

Once these were dry I trimmed them all flush at the router table with a flush trim bit and then sanded to make them an even smoother transition as well as to get rid of any excess glue squeeze out that might show.

After that I cut the lid off of the box.  It is important that you cut far enough down that you don’t cut through the top panel of the box.  This can be done in a few different ways but a bandsaw is preferrable.  You can also use a table saw but make sure to put spacers in the sections you cut after cutting so that the box doesnt’ squeeze on the blade and get launched/ruined.  I used a laguna resaw-king blade which is probably the absolute best way to go when cutting this.  Also to tame any tearout I put a line of blue painters tape where I would be cutting.  If you are using a table saw a good trick is to make a first pass with the blade height set just high enough to go slightly past the veneer layer and then raise the blade and make the final cut, but remember to use spacers so that you don’t launch your project

the results turned out fantastic and I’m quite happy with the results.  Look for more pictures of the finishing, hinge installation, and liner install in future updates.

 

After the first coat of finish here.  I used General Finishes Arm-R-Seal oil-urethane finish.  In particular this finish really brings out the figuration in walnut burl.  I used the satin and am very happy with the satin finish from other GF products.

 


 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>